Sunday, August 06, 2006

A plug for public school

I had to post this thought about my kids school Pearl Harbor Kai. It is a title 1 school, so that means they have many special ed programs. My son Dominic Jr. who is 8, has special ed classes. He is ADHD, but only gets about 90 minutes of special classes and then he attends his regular class. His special ed teachers, which he has had for a few years now, are always coming up with new plans in order to make these kids excel. One of the problems with struggling with learning is that by the time you get home, you just don't have any more to give. That means that not only does homework take forever, but it seems very little is gotten out of it. So my son's teachers decided that they would put a small block at the end of the day, where the special ed kids could come down to the special ed center and these teachers would help them with their homework. That way the teachers could see exactly what they learned that day in their regular classrooms, and also catch the areas that these kids did not understand. I think this is a great idea. I think this will help the teachers really pinpoint the areas that need work and also give the kids a break from doing the work at home they may not understand. I'm just glad that the principal of our school has given the go ahead and will let the teacher's fly with the programs they think may help. Hurray for PHK. Not all schools our there cater to the kid's needs, just to the testing.

2 comments:

mom of 2 said...

That is awesome! Our public school is a great one too. I feel bad for kids out there who can't go to good schools!! I'm glad your little boy is getting the extra help!!

Looney Mom™ said...

That's great. It's hard to find good schools anymore.

gadgets and apps

So many cool things for the older generation...not that I am that old yet....but can they please get names that don't make the older pee...