Saturday, November 11, 2006

New friends

Sorry it's been a few days in posting but my hubby is on leave and we are spending a lot of time together as a family before he leaves for Iraq. You can pack a lot of things into one day.

Yesterday me and my friend Tracey were standing outside watching all the kids play at the park. They were squirting each other with hoses, riding bikes, playing tag, etc. I remarked to Tracey that it is so weird here in Hawaii because it is like any summer evening you would spend on the mainland except it isn't summer. Sometimes I even forget it is winter for everyone else. It's a very unusual feeling to realize your mind actually tricked you into thinking it's summer when it's not. Anyway there was a lady watching her kids playing at the park and she walked up and introduced herself. Her name is Cherise and she has 4 kids. She just moved to Hawaii 4 months ago and was saying how she missed Virginia, where she came from, because she really hasn't met many friends yet. We told her she could hang with us and we all had a great time outside chatting for about 3 hours. I told her that we go out with the kids every afternoon once it is cooler. She said she would come by to see us. I told her she just had to give it a little time and then before she knows it she wouldn't want to leave Hawaii either. Sometimes when you are changing to a new duty station it takes a little while to get used to your surroundings and all of your new neighbors, but eventually you can't imagine being anywhere else. I am sure now that Cherise hangs out with us she will acquire many new friends. In fact we will all head up to the chapel on Tuesday for Praying Women of the Chapel. Many women attend this and she will surely find new friends here. Cherise is a really nice person and I am sure we will all become great friends.

3 comments:

Linda said...

What a blessing for Cherise to have found such wonderful new friends and how sweet of you to welcome her in.
I will keep your husband and all of you in my prayers. Please tell him thank you for his service. The men in my family have all served, and we appreciate what they and men like your husband do for us.
Blessings.

Kate O'Brien said...

I will keep you all in my prayers. I can't imagine how hard it must be to have husband serving in Iraq. My sister's husband just got back about 6 months ago after an 18 month tour of duty their with the National Guard. It was a tough time for her, she had her first child while he was away. Anyhoo - praying for you all!

Anonymous said...

I ditto what Linda said!!!It's good that Cherise to have you as a friend.Your Hubby is in my prayers.(Along with the Cdn.men and women..)Michelle

gadgets and apps

So many cool things for the older generation...not that I am that old yet....but can they please get names that don't make the older pee...