Wednesday, March 14, 2007

going green and all that

I am basically trying to do what I can for the environment thanks to Julie and her suggestions it has been pretty easy. One thing I changed is I have basically given up meat. I am not a vegetarian because I would still eat meat, but mostly what I am now cooking for dinner is meatless. Since I love to cook this has been kind of fun. I have been finding all types of new recipes. For instance this week we will be having crab and swiss quiche, mushroom, green pepper and onion pizza, chili potato burritos and Barb's talapia recipe found here. I do still make meals with meat about once a week because who can give up Rocco's mama's meatballs (recipe as follows)? Last night I even made Barbs recipe for Italian style nachos, and I will tell you, these were so good they could make a vegetarian turn into a meat eater, but for the most part I am cooking meatless. I will keep you all posted on how it goes. Of course hubby has been great about this since he goes to the chow hall every day and piles on the meat for lunch and breakfast, so I am sure he will survive it, but in the event they all declare mutiny I will let you know. Unless, of course, I am tied up and locked in a closet.

Rocco's mama's meatballs
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, halved
8 oz ground beef8 oz ground pork
8 oz ground veal, or another 8 oz ground beef
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/8 cup soft bread crumbs
1/4 cup fresh italian flat leaf parsley finely chopped
1/4 cup grated parmigiana reggiano cheese
1/2 to 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 cups marinara sauce
12 oz desired shaped pasta
grated parmigiana reggiano cheese

1. In food processor combine chicken broth, onion and garlic. Process until pureed. In a large bowl combine onion mixture, ground beef, ground pork, ground veal, eggs, bread crumbs, parsley, 1/4 cup parmigiana reggiano cheese crushed pepper, and 1 tsp salt. I skipped the veal and did the extra 8 oz of ground beef. Using about 1/4 cup mixture per meatball, form 12 meatballs. I made mine orange sized, but you can do any size you like.

2. In large skillet cook meatballs in oil over medium heat about 10 minutes or until browned turning occasionally. I baked mine on a cookie sheet in the over and 400 for about 25 minutes. I am too lazy to stand there and turn the meatballs.

3. In a 4 to 6 quart dutch oven bring marinara sauce to a boil. Drop meatballs in sauce one at a time. Stir gently. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Cook pasta according to package directions. Serve meatballs and sauce over hot pasta and serve with cheese. Enjoy. And don't forget to think about Rocco when cooking mama's meatballs.

5 comments:

Charla said...

Mmmm, sounds good I'll have to try that one! Thanks a bunch for the recipe!!!

Linda said...

Well I'm impressed Christina. My daughter has done pretty much the same thing as you - although she still eats chicken. The recipes sound really delicious. I don't think my husband would go for the meatless meals too often, but I think it's a good idea to get away from eating so much red meat. Good for you!!

Barb said...

You're gonna love the tilapia, Christina. I'm telling you, it's wonderful. And I thought it was easy to make. I know all the photos I posted probably make it seem like a lot of work, but it wasn't. We loved the nachos, too. Mostly, it just tickled me to figure out how to make both those dishes at home.

Thanks for posting the meatball recipe. My word, no wonder he has her making those things all day long. They sound wonderful.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Oh WOW Christina! That SO rocks!

Let me know if you ever need any recipes (I was veggie for over 2 years).

WTG!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very thought provoking.gowns with sleeves Louboutin Shoes christian louboutin fur boots. Simple Wedding Dresses

gadgets and apps

So many cool things for the older generation...not that I am that old yet....but can they please get names that don't make the older pee...