Thursday, July 10, 2008

Casting Crowns

I was reading an article in Charisma (a Christian magazine) about Casting Crowns and in the article it said something that really struck me as interesting. The article said "an emphasis of the ministry and music of Casting Crowns is to help young people have their own relationship with Jesus, not a relationship borrowed from their parents and leaders. I was pondering this because I know of a lot of people young and old who go to church and pray and do all the things you are supposed to but don't really have a relationship with Jesus. So this article really brought it home to me that it is so important to teach this to our children and teens. Not just have them saved, but to help them to know the Lord. I teach my kids to pray but encourage them to do the prayer so I can guide them in actually talking to Jesus instead of just copying some prayer they learned at Sunday school or somewhere. I also encourage them to read their Bible daily. My older daughter was saying "mom do you know there are churches where they don't even bring a Bible?" I told her there are churches that don't even teach people you have to read the word daily. It's just some place to go on Sunday and hear a few words out of the Bible. How they exist without actually being able to talk to Jesus all day like he is a friend I will never know. I do know that teaching our children to arm themselves with the power of the sword (their own Bibles) is the way to develop a solid ground to walk with Jesus on. Just my own thoughts on this article.

5 comments:

Denise said...

Bless you for being such a great mom my friend.

Kelley said...

This is so timely for me. I have been trying to encourage my kids, especially the teens, to seek their own relationship with Jesus. Moving from "rule based" living to a true relationship with Jesus. Our sermon last Sunday discussed that very thing. "We are called to bear the cross, not wear the cross!"

On another note, I will be praying for your sister. I know you must be more than a little worried after what you have been through with your mom.

Take care Christina, enjoy your weekend....

Love,
Kelley

Kimberly said...

This is so good and so true, Christina. I pray that my daughters will each one come to know Jesus as their personal Savior. My faith cannot carry them. And you are so right about doing all that you can right now, while they are in your home, to equip your children to live for Him. Thanks for this reminder today!

Love and prayers,
Kimberly

Darlene said...

This is so true. I think sometimes when we are in the habit of going to church every Sunday am and pm and Wednesday's. That they think this is what we are suppose to do. We don't teach them that we are choosing to go and worship and learn more. My daughter is 18...she has a relationship with God. I hope when she goes to college in Aug. that she will keep this relationship and push it to the back. She is learning to stand on her own faith. I pray for her to put God first in all things.
A very important part of this is for children to see their parent in the home reading the bible and doing a devotion and praying.
Thanks for this reminder.
I just thought of a gift we can give Andrea when she leaves for college. I will let you know how it turns out.

Blessings,
Darlene

Anonymous said...

Very thought provoking.wedding dresses with sleeves!?! Louboutin Shoes christian louboutin platforms. Bridesmaid Dresses

gadgets and apps

So many cool things for the older generation...not that I am that old yet....but can they please get names that don't make the older pee...