Friday, December 05, 2008

Who do you want to be

I am reading a book, The Christmas Sweater, by Glenn Beck. Although Beck is not my religion (he's Mormon), I find the book is not religious, it pertains to all people. One of the things he wrote in this book struck me as something I really believe. One of the character's Russell says to Eddie "People probably ask you all the time what you want to be when you grow up, but that's the wrong question isn't it? The question people should really ask is who you want to be." Later on Russell goes on to explain to Eddie "The what doesn't matter. I mean who do you want to be, what kind of person." I thought it was so true of a lot of people in this world. They don't care abut what kind of people they are, they are more concerned with success (as the world describes it) or power, or fame. When they should be concerned with the things that really matter like being good, gentle and faithful. I am thinking that is why the shape our economy doesn't really bother me. Having stuff just isn't important to me. I don't really care about houses, and cars, and jewelry, etc. I just care about the things that really matter, God, my husband, family, and friends. Really what else could anyone want. I guess I just don't get it. That's probably why I am glad to be in this world, but not necessarily of it.

2 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

This is so true of me too. Often surprising those who think they may know me. I remember a time when I was very financially blessed and had lots of stuff. But it was just that stuff. When it was all gone I was still me, my children still enjoyed life, but the response those close to me was so surprising...like...how are YOU going to handle this loss. Loss of what? I have my health, my children and an amazing God. Great post, as you can tell it got me going.

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking. Very true. bridal jackets Louboutin Shoes christian louboutin platforms. Accessories

gadgets and apps

So many cool things for the older generation...not that I am that old yet....but can they please get names that don't make the older pee...